Tip #6: Reclaim the Disk Space with Optimized Storage
Lack of disk space is a typical problem faced by many Apple Mac users. Relatively small SSDs that come supplied with Mac Air and Mac Pro computers get cluttered with data pretty fast. Users of macOS Sierra and High Sierra can unclutter your disk and reclaim some space with Optimized Storage functionality.
- Click the Apple icon -> choose ‘About This Mac’ from the drop-down menu.
- Click the ‘Storage’ tab, then click ‘Details’ (or ‘Manage’).
After that, you access the tools that can help you reclaim the disk space.
- Use iCloud Photo Library to transfer any images and videos stored in Photos to iCloud Drive. Depending on the disk space, your original photos can get replaced with lower-resolution copies. However, you can download the original version.
- Use Optimized Storage to remove watched iTunes movies and TV programs. It is possible to download them again for viewing
- Use Empty Trash Automatically to purge the Trash bin automatically 30 days after the files in it were deleted.
- Use Reduce Clutter to locate downloads, outdated and large files, browser files, etc. There is an option to remove the data that you no longer need manually.
More Cool Things to Do on a Mac
What are the other cool tips and tricks a Mac user can put in practice? There is a gazillion of hacks to boost your Mac’s performance. For instance, macOS Sierra and High Sierra users can use Apple Pay to make fast electronic payments. All it takes is to enter the debit/credit card details on the available Apple device. Also, Mac users can turn on the Night Shift mode to prevent insomnia and eyesight issues.
Siri offers a vast selection of capabilities users shouldn’t miss out on:
- Hands-free tweeting;
- In-depth documents search;
- Quick FaceTime calls;
- Location-based reminders;
- Computer storage check.
Bear in mind that Mac’s performance largely depends on its hardware, maintenance and the user himself. Keeping your Mac clean and using anti-malware protection will prevent critical issues, system failure, computer viruses, etc. Using onboard Mac utilities and trusted third-party apps for Mac OS cleaning and optimization will prolong the lifespan of your device.
Inspect all sections of our MacPowerUser website to discover best tips and hacks how to get the most of your Apple computer and become a truly professional Mac user!