McAfee LiveSafe is a popular security suite that helps Mac users to prevent infiltration incidents before they occur by functioning as a security agent that meets a wide range of privacy and technical standards. The powerful security force is essential for removing Trojans, viruses, adware, and malware from a computer. However, it might not be that easy to delete the app itself once you, for example, decide to move to another security solution. It has to do with the fact that if a user does not rely on the help of third-party uninstallers, they have to resort to the use of the Terminal. Unfortunately, the lack of a graphical user interface makes the process of using the command line for the purpose of deleting McAfee cumbersome and unwieldy (especially for new members of Mac family). This article has been written to guide you through the uninstallation of the security app, thereby making it a relative breeze.
Before You Start
It has to be noted that the uninstallation of the antivirus software takes more than simply dragging and dropping it into the Trash. To completely remove McAfee means to get rid of its service and cache files that consume system resources and space on a hard drive. The thing is, even after being trashed, the app can have some of its processes running in the background. For this reason, it is worth knowing how to properly delete the software.
The Simplest Way to Uninstall McAfee Endpoint Protection
The simplest approach to deleting McAfee security app is the relegation of it to the Trash. However, as has been mentioned in the previous section of the article, this method doesn’t guarantee the complete removal of the software, which is why it is recommended to apply more sophisticated approaches. If you are one of those users who don’t care about freeing up hard drive space and reducing RAM usage, follow these steps:
- Log in to your Mac as an administrator;
- Quit the app (if the app is not responsive use the Cmd + Opt + Esc combination to force quit it);
- Open the Activity Monitor, which can be found in the Utilities folder;
- Click on the All Processes tab;
- Select all McAfee-related processes in the list;
- Click on the Quit Process icon and confirm the action by clicking on the Quit button in a pop-up window;
- Find the app in the Applications folder, which can be opened through Finder;
- Right-click on the icon of the security utility and select the Move to Trash option from a drop-down menu (note that if you haven’t logged in as an administrator, you will be asked to enter the administrator password to proceed with the action);
- Click on the Empty Trash button to permanently erase the app (do not forget to check whether the Trash folder contains important files that may be inadvertently subjected to the permanent deletion).
How to Stop McAfee Popups Mac for Good?
One cannot help but notice annoying McAfee popups that refuse to go away and keep automatically reopening every time the computer starts. The deletion of the app is a surefire way to remove the annoyance of the reemerging popups. However, the trashing doesn’t compel all system files to depart from your Mac for good, which is why you can benefit from deleting the utility via the Terminal. According to the uninstallation guidelines detailed on the official McAfee website, the utility can be removed with only one command. It follows that although the Terminal may be somewhat intimidating for novice users, there is nothing exceptionally tricky about its use for the purpose of McAfee deletion. All that needs to be done is:
- Log in to the administrator account;
- Open Finder and proceed to Utilities through the Go menu;
- Find the Terminal app and double click on its icon to launch it;
- Enter the following command for McAfee v. 4.8: sudo/Library/McAfee/cma/uninstall/sh;
- If you are using McAfee 5.x, the command should look as follows: sudo/Library/McAfee/cma/scripts/uninstall.sh;
- Enter the administrator password to allow the uninstallation;
- Press Enter.
- After the process of uninstallation is successfully completed, reboot your Mac.
The officially recommended approach to removing the antivirus software doesn’t always produce satisfactory results. Namely, some users complain of having remnant system files scattered across their hard drive, which makes it necessary to explore other avenues of uninstalling the app.
The Surest Way of Uninstalling McAfee
If you are still asking “How do I remove McAfee from my Mac?”, there’s an alternative solution for you. The use of third-party uninstalling utilities will help to ensure that the antivirus software is deleted completely. There are uninstalling utilities of all hues and stripes that remove kernel extensions, support items, preference files, and background components of any application package that won’t uninstall otherwise. Instead of conducting a thorough Google search on such software components and manually deleting them from your system, try using one out of dozens of utilities for tracking and removing errant apps. Simply choose a utility on the Apple’s App Store after assessing its relative merits with the help of customer reviews. Install the cleaning app and use instructions on the vendor’s website to guide you through the uninstallation process. Also, make sure you regularly update the app to ensure that it functions properly.
The uninstallation of McAfee can be difficult for the first-time Mac users. Therefore, it is highly recommended to adhere to this guide as a means of achieving a clean uninstallation.